Your breasts are just one of your physical characteristics that exude beauty and femininity; boosting your overall attractiveness and self-confidence. But throughout the years you may feel that your breasts have become deflated and saggy, a far cry from the perky contoured shape they once were. A breast lift with augmentation can help rejuvenate your breasts to their previous glory.
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular breast surgeries performed at Clinton Plastic Surgery. It increases breast size by placing a long-lasting implant into the breast. While breast implants increase breast size, they don’t treat sagging.
For our patients with breast sagging who also desire larger breasts, we offer a breast lift with augmentation. This combination of procedures only requires one trip to the operating room, and can fully rejuvenate your breasts.
The Benefits of Combining Breast Lift and Augmentation
Breast lift and enlargement, also known as mastopexy with implants, is intended to improve the appearance of small, saggy breasts, usually in patients after multiple pregnancies or significant weight loss. Combining a breast lift with implants allows Dr. Clinton to address two of the most common breast complaints – size and sagginess – in a single procedure.
Combining treatments offers patients the benefits of both breast lift and augmentation, often providing better results than if each procedure was performed separately. Dr. Clinton actively shapes, contours, and restructures the breasts during a breast lift and can use the implant as part of his overall shaping strategy to restore missing breast volume. The additional skin that is causing sagging can help to cover the implant, with the excess easily removed. When we combine breast lift with augmentation we have more options available and can produce better results for our patients.
Some benefits of combining these two breast enhancing treatments include:
- One recovery period, less downtime
- Addresses both size and sagging concerns
- Complementary procedures result in aesthetically superior results
- Fewer incisions than if both procedures were performed separately
Breast lift and augmentation procedures are recommended for patients who have moderate or severe breast sagging and want to increase breast size. For patients with mild sagging, implants alone are sometimes sufficient to achieve a good aesthetic result.
The Breast Lift and Augmentation Procedure
A breast lift and augmentation combination pairs two of our most popular breast surgeries together for a stunning, rejuvenating result. To better understand this two-part procedure, let’s explore each part in more detail.
Breast Augmentation Basics
Breast augmentation is a transformative procedure that uses a saline or silicone implant to add volume to the breasts. The implant is placed into the breast through a carefully placed incision and is positioned over or under the pectoral muscle.
Dr. Clinton offers a wide variety of breast implants including saline, silicone, and cohesive silicone gel (gummy bear) implants. These implants are available in many shapes, sizes, and projections. We’ll work with you to create your ideal breast appearance, customized to your specific aesthetic desires and body type. Our goal is to create breasts that look and feel natural and soft.
Differences between various breast implants:
- Saline: What is essentially a silicone shell filled with saltwater, this form of implant is the best choice if you want to reduce the overall appearance of scars, as only a small incision is required to insert the implant, which is then inflated with saline solution. A drawback to saline breast implants is that they may not feel as natural. However, due to the nature of using saline, if the implant were ever to rupture or leak the saltwater solution is harmlessly absorbed by the body, leaving only the tell-tale sign of deflated breast size to alert you to seek the aid of a plastic surgeon.
- Silicone: These implants consist of a silicone shell filled with silicone gel, a think, sticky fluid that closely resembles the feel of fat; this form of implant has the distinction of looking and feeling the most natural. However, due to silicone’s gel-like composition, silent ruptures may occur, whereby you may not notice when your implant has ruptured or is leaking, making it more difficult to recognize and seek medical attention.
- Cohesive Gel or the “gummy bear” implant – One of the newest tools in the augmentation arsenal, the gummy bear implant is comprised of a silicone shell filled with a special type of silicone gel that maintains its shape in cases of shell rupture or breakage, reducing the chances of leakage. Much like how when a gummy bear candy is cut in half it still retains two whole pieces, cohesive gel implants remain intact when broken or damaged.
Breast implants are long-lasting and remain in place until they are removed or replaced. Many patients enjoy their implants for years without complications.
Breast Lift Basics
A breast lift (mastopexy) reshapes and repositions the breasts to address sagging, also known as ptosis. There are various surgical techniques that can be used to address breast changes after aging, pregnancy, and weight loss.
During the procedure excess skin is removed, breast tissues are lifted and placed higher on the chest wall, and breast shape is enhanced to restore a rounder, more youthful appearance.
A breast lift is customized to each patient. Incision placement is determined by the extent of sagging present. Often a breast lift will leave some scarring on the breast, but our patients generally report that the enhanced breast shape compensates for any scarring that occurs, and most scars fade nicely with time. Dr. Clinton will explain the available options after he has examined your breasts.
Breast Lift and Augmentation in Birmingham, AL
During a breast lift with implant procedure, Dr. Clinton will start with a traditional breast lift. Once he has achieved a better breast shape, he adds in a breast implant, often using the incisions that were already created for the breast lift. The incisions are closed and after a short stay in recovery, the patient returns home. A breast lift with implants provides the best results for our patients who want to address breast changes after pregnancy or weight loss. This is a common addition to our mommy makeover procedure.
How to Prepare for your Breast Lift with Augmentation Procedure
Before you are scheduled to undergo surgery, you’ll discuss your expectations with the doctor in your initial consultation. Together, you’ll determine if your overall health will be a factor in performing the procedure. The doctor will review your complete medical history and your current medical condition, as well as provide a physical exam. He will evaluate the quality, tone, and laxity of your breast skin.
Dr. Clinton will also inform you of the risks and benefits involved when performing a breast lift with augmentation to better prepare you for the recovery period.
You may also be required to:
- Seek a baseline mammogram. Having this documentation helps in comparing breast tissue several months after the procedure.
- Achieve a healthy weight. Those at a reasonable weight have lower risks complication during and after the surgery
- Stop smoking. Smoking reduces blood flow and slows down the healing process.
- Avoid certain medication. Aspirin, anti-inflammatories, and various types of herbal medication will need to be avoided to decrease bleeding risk.
- Arrange for friend or family member to help you post-surgery. Having someone to take you home and stay with you as you recover is ideal during the recovery period.
FAQs About Breast Lift with Implants
We understand that patients have questions about breast lift and augmentation. We offer a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Clinton to help patients learn more about this procedure. Call our Birmingham, AL plastic surgery offices at 205-408-9787 to schedule a breast lift with augmentation consultation today.
Answers to common questions about the procedure are available below.
What’s Recovery Like After a Breast Lift with Implants?
One of the major benefits of combining a breast lift with implants is a shorter recovery period than if both procedures were performed separately. Patients recover from both procedures simultaneously. Plan on missing about a week from work and limiting heavy lifting and exercise for 4-6 weeks.
Common side effects include tenderness, bruising, and swelling. Pain medications will be prescribed to alleviate any discomfort while you heal. We’ll also give you specific recovery instructions before your procedure to help ensure a successful outcome.
What Other Procedures Can Complement My Breast Lift and Augmentation Results?
A breast lift with augmentation is a common addition to our mommy makeover and is very popular with patients who have had children, especially if they’ve had multiple pregnancies. Other procedures that restore the body after pregnancy include tummy tuck, liposuction, and buttock lifts.
What Happens If I Have Sagging and Only Get Implants?
If you place implants in sagging breasts without a lift, the result is larger, still saggy breasts. An implant can only address minor sagging. If you have sagging and want to increase breast size, opt for a breast lift and augmentation combination.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Breast Lift with Implants?
We encourage all patients who are interested in a breast lift with implants to call our offices and schedule a consultation. A consultation is one of the best ways to determine if this procedure fits your goals, lifestyle, and budget. During a consultation we talk about the procedure in-depth and provide a detailed examination. This will give you the information you need to feel confident in your decision.
Enhance your breasts after pregnancy or weight loss with a breast lift and augmentation in Birmingham, AL. Call our offices at 205-408-9787 to schedule your consultation.