Motherhood is beautiful and enormously rewarding, but pregnancies can take a toll on the body that no amount of diet or exercise can correct. A Mommy Makeover can restore the body to as close to its pre-pregnancy appearance as possible – or even improve upon it. A Mommy Makeover is actually a series of procedures that is customized for each woman, although the most common areas addressed are the breasts and the abdomen.
Dr. Clinton has performed countless successful Mommy Makeovers at his Birmingham, AL practice and he gives all of his patients a great deal of one-on-one attention. He’s a great listener and is empathetic to your concerns. Most importantly, he has the training and experience to evaluate your case carefully and create a unique surgical plan for you.
He received his plastic surgery training at Duke – one of the country’s most prestigious universities – and he spent years in trauma care before focusing on the area of aesthetics. He also performs many reconstructive surgeries every year. As a result, he has the experience to work on even the most complex of cases.
A Mommy Makeover should only be undertaken when you do not plan to become pregnant again, and you should be close to your ideal weight. It is not a weight loss procedure, and significant weight loss or subsequent pregnancies could reverse the results of the surgeries.
Mommy Makeover Procedures
- Tummy Tuck is the most popular surgery done as part of a Mommy Makeover. The procedure flattens the stomach and slims the waist by using a combination of liposuction to remove pockets of fat, excision to remove lax skin, and tightening of the abdominal muscles that frequently separate as a result of pregnancy. Read more about Tummy Tuck.
- Breast Lift, which raises sagging breast tissue to a higher, more youthful position, is another common Mommy Makeover procedure. The surgeon can also reshape the breasts, but breast size is not increased. Read more about Breast Lift.
- Breast Augmentation with Breast Lift is for those women who wish to increase breast size, as well as lift their breasts to their former high position. This surgery involves the insertion of breast implants. Read more about Breast Augmentation.
- Breast Reduction is for women with large, heavy and droopy breasts that are causing back, shoulder, or neck pain and discomfort. By reducing the size of the breasts, women can alleviate this pain and have a more proportionate figure. Read more about Breast Reduction.
- Buttock Lift involves enhancing the buttocks through lipoplasty – removal of excess fat – and/or free fat grafting, which involves harvesting fat from one area where it is unwanted and adding it in areas of the buttocks to enhance their shape. If there is excess skin, it can be excised. Read more about Buttock Lift.
- Free Fat Grafting is a procedure that uses liposuction to remove fat from an area with too much and inject that fat into areas that need more fullness. Fat is often harvested from the abdomen, thighs, or buttocks, and it is often injected into the face, breasts, or buttocks to sculpt these areas for a more attractive result. Read more about Free Fat Grafting.
- Liposuction and Lipoplasty are similar procedures that involve the removal of fat from areas when you feel there are excess pockets of fat through suction. Liposuction simply uses a small cannula hooked to suction for removal of the fat. This process relies on your skin elasticity for shrinkage, which can greatly vary depending on age and history. Lipoplasty, a term coined by Dr. Clinton, incorporates some type of energy to first melt or mechanically break up the fat. The byproduct of this process is then removed by suction. It adds an element of skin tightening, but is not as effective as a Tummy Tuck for the issue. Read more about Lipoplasty. Read more about Liposuction.
What Can I Expect During Recovery from a Mommy Makeover?
Your recovery is variable depending on the procedures you choose for your Mommy Makeover. When surgeries can be done concurrently, recovery times are usually not extended. This depends on each individual case, however. Please refer to the pages devoted to the procedures you have chosen for more information about recovery.
In all cases, we will send you home with written instructions for how to take care of yourself after your surgeries. This will be a reinforcement of verbal instructions that you will receive on several occasions. You will also be evaluated no later than the day after each procedure and monitored during your recovery period. We encourage you to call us if you have any questions at all.
Some bruising, swelling, and discomfort are expected after any surgery. Swelling is usually the last side effect to go away completely. If you experience pain, you can take oral medications. Non-prescription meds are usually sufficient, but if you need something stronger, please use the prescription provided. Compression garments must be worn for a period of time after some of these procedures.
Results from a Mommy Makeover are long-lasting, but they can certainly be affected by weight loss/gain, subsequent pregnancies, genetics, environmental factors, and the natural aging process.