A tummy tuck is one of the best ways to tighten and shape the tummy, but accomplishing this dramatic transformation requires the doctor to create incisions across the lower abdomen. Wherever there are incisions, scars can result.
Scarring after a tummy tuck is inevitable, but there are ways to minimize the appearance of scarring and to treat it if it occurs. Here’s what you need to know about scarring after a tummy tuck in Birmingham, AL.
Preventing Scars After an Abdominoplasty
Caring for your incisions after a tummy tuck sets the stage for optimal healing and minimal scarring. Take these steps to give your incisions the best chances for reduced scarring after your surgery.
- Placing tummy tuck incisions low, under the bikini line, ensures that if scarring does occur, it won’t be highly visible. Ask your surgeon where they plan to make their incisions, and ask for lower ones if scars are a concern for you.
- Follow your recovery instructions. Dr. Clinton and his team will provide detailed instructions for caring for your healing body after surgery. Follow these instructions carefully. Doing too much too soon can lead to healing complications and increase the likelihood of scarring.
- Keep your scars out of the sun. UV exposure can permanently darken healing incisions. Wait until your scars are fully mature and no longer pink before exposing them to the sun.
- Choose a board-certified plastic surgeon. As a core-trained, board-certified surgeon, Dr. Clinton has learned specific techniques for reducing the appearance of scarring after tummy tuck surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you’re prone to hypertrophic or keloid scarring. If you have a history of raised, highly visible scarring, let your surgeon know before surgery so they can take precautions to reduce scars after your procedure.
- Use scar massage, silicone tape, and other techniques as instructed to keep scarring at a minimum.
These simple strategies can dramatically the appearance of scarring after your procedure.
I Have Scarring After My Tummy Tuck – What Can I Do?
If the appearance of scars after your procedure bothers you, come see us. There are ways to reduce and treat visible scarring after tummy tuck surgery.
Here’s how we treat scars at Clinton Plastic Surgery.
- Lasers: Laser skin resurfacing is a highly effective option for fading scars after a tummy tuck or other plastic surgery procedures. For scarring, we usually recommend one or more treatments with our fractional CO2 laser. This powerful laser focuses its energy on only a small portion of the skin, leaving healthy tissue intact and shortening healing times.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): PRP uses concentrated plasma, extracted from the patient, to repair scars and revitalize the skin. PRP treatments are a minimally invasive and low-downtime option for scar reduction.
Tighten your tummy without worrying about scars. Contact Clinton Plastic Surgery at (205) 408-9787 to schedule a consultation.