Reading labels can help you find the best skin care products for you, but if you’re like many of our patients, read a label alone doesn’t provide all of the information you need to make a good choice. There are different ingredients used in skin care products to improve and enhance the skin. Finding the products with the right ingredients and at the right concentrations is harder than finding buried treasure. Visit Clinton Plastic Surgery for personalized skincare guidance. Our trained and experienced aestheticians serve as your guides, helping you find skincare gold for your unique needs.
To help you wade through the skincare lingo, explore some of our favorite ingredients for your specific skin concerns. Call us at 205-408-9787 for personalized skincare advice.
Acne isn’t just a teenage problem. For mild breakouts to serious acne problems, these powerful ingredients are the key to clearer skin and increased confidence.
- Tretinoin – Tretinoin is a member of the retinoid family, but much more potent than its cousin retinol. It is available by prescription only, and for many patients provides a dramatic reduction in acne symptoms and photo-aging.
- Salicylic Acid – Patients with acne often experience irritation and inflammation, in addition to skin blemishes. Salicylic acid targets both problems, exfoliating dead skin and calming irritation. Its chemical makeup is similar to acetylsalicylic acid, commonly known as aspirin.
- Benzoyl Peroxide – Benzoyl peroxide, also known as BPO, targets acne at its source. In addition to gentle exfoliation, BPO kills acne-causing bacteria in the pores. Obagi’s CLENZIderm M.D. acne system combines benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid products, making it one of the most powerful acne-fighting lines we’ve ever used.
Ingredients Perfect for Sensitive Skin
Finding powerful products for sensitive skin is possible. The key is choosing effective ingredients that are gentle and non-irritating for the skin.
- Kinetin and Zeatin – Kinetin and Zeatin are synthetic forms of plant growth factors and are essential components in Obagi’s sensitive skin line: The Gentle Rejuvenation System. Dr. Clinton loves Obagi products, as they are some of the most effective and easy-to-use products available. Kinetin and Zeatin are gentle, but with consistent use, produce dramatic improvement in the appearance of the skin.
- Natural Remedies – Naturally soothing ingredients are key for patients with sensitive skin. Some of our favorites for sensitive skin include oatmeal, licorice extract, chamomile, and caffeine.
- Retinaldehyde – Retinol is a powerful skin improver, but for patients with sensitive skin, retinol is often too much. Try its gentler cousin, retinaldehyde. It is often mild enough for patients with sensitive or delicate skin.
Soothing Dry Skin
Dry skin accentuates wrinkles and other signs of aging. Deep moisturizing agents can heal the skin and improve its appearance. A deep and soothing moisturizer, Hydromanil can moisturize the skin for over eight hours with a single application. The molecules of this moisturizer remain on the surface of the skin, holding in moisture and preventing water loss.
Protecting the skin from the sun should be a daily habit. There are many wonderful sunscreen active ingredients available, and they are often used in combination to provide broad-spectrum sun protection. Our skincare experts can help you find the right fit.
Try zinc oxide, a physical sunscreen, which also protects the skin by repelling the sun’s rays. Many of the Obagi sunscreens use zinc oxide in combination with other chemical and physical sunscreens.
Effective Anti-Aging Ingredients
A carefully planned skincare routine ensures natural aging occur gracefully. These ingredients smooth, brighten and revitalize aging skin.
- L-Ascorbic Acid – You may be unfamiliar with the term L-ascorbic acid, but we’re guessing you’ve heard of Vitamin C. L-ascorbic acid is the most common form of this powerful antioxidant. It complements collagen production and slows many signs of aging including fine lines and photo-aging.
- Hydroquinone – Hydroquinone helps reduce photo-aging, more commonly known as sun damage. It is one of our favorite ingredients for age spots, sun spots, and melasma.
- Peptides – These proteins can support collagen growth. In skin care products, peptides can improve the firmness and tone of the skin while reducing the appearance of wrinkling.
- Retinol – Retinol is a Vitamin A compound that improves skin tone, complexion, and texture. It is one of the most popular anti-aging ingredients available.
Find products with these and other skin beneficial ingredients at Clinton Plastic Surgery in Birmingham, AL. We recommend the Obagi line of skincare products to many of our patients. These products are only available through medical offices. Call us to learn more and to find the best skincare ingredients for your skin.